Scripts can be viewed and edited in any text editor such as TextEdit and Notepad as long as the extension remains as jsx. Ideally, scripts should be created and run using Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit supplied with Adobe Photoshop. This application provides many debugging tools and assistance with creating scripts. Scripts can also be created using the ScriptListener plug-in that may be installed with Adobe Photoshop. Actions are recorded into a log and is used to create a script. Adobe Photoshop CS6 does not install the Scripting folder. Please visit to the Adobe Photoshop Scripting site for more information: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/photoshop/scripting.html.
Supported / Unsupported Functions
Adobe Photoshop operations used in actions or scripts will maintain georeferencing information. Note that there are some functions that are not yet supported due to Adobe Photoshop API limitations.
- ExtendScript Toolkit
- Run script using File > Scripts > Browse
- Run script by double-clicking script
- Run script by drag-and-drop into Adobe Photoshop
- Run action using Action Panel
- Image Processor
- Create Droplet (see Compatibility)
- Actions that run a script or another action
- File > Automate > Batch, where the Source drop-down list is set as Folder or Open Files.
- File > Automate > Batch, where the Destination drop-down list is set as None or Save and Close.
- File > Automate > Crop and Straighten Photos
- Scripts that run another script or action
- Actions that run a script or action that run another script or action
- Scripts that run a script or action that run another script or action
- Adobe Photoshop closed when using automate tools
- Insert menu item from Action panel
- Script Events Manager
- File > Automate > Batch, where the Destination drop-down list is set as Folder. Specifying new folder names and new file names are unsupported.
- File > Automate > Batch, where the Source drop-down list is set as Advanced Import. The action is not completed because Advanced Import parameters have to be set manually.
Topics covered in this section