1. Create a new Adobe Illustrator document.
2. Import fsatoronto.mif and import torontostreets.mif from the Tutorial Data folder.
3. Transform the coordinate system of the fsatoronto MAP View to NAD83 / UTM zone 17N (see Transform a Coordinate System Using the MAP View Editor).
4. Style the streets to a colour other than black to differentiate between the fsatoronto_lines layer.
5. Zoom to an intersection of these streets. A recommended zoom level is 600%.
Construct an imaginary building at precise map dimensions.
6. In the MAP Views panel, add a new MAP Layer called Buildings and specify it as an Area feature type.
7. In the Adobe Illustrator Tools panel, click the MAP Area Plotter Rectangle Tool button.
8. In the Adobe Illustrator Layers panel, make sure the Buildings layer is active. Click once near an intersection of two streets to open the Area Plotter dialog box.
9. For the Location type, select Position.
10. Type 50 into the Width box, type 30 into the Height box and click OK.
Since the fsatoronto MAP View is in UTM, the units are displayed in meters. These settings create a rectangle 50 x 30 meters. The center of the polygon is located at the single-click point from the previous step.
11. Move the building to the southeast corner of the intersection. Rotate it so that it is parallel to the horizontal street using the Rotate Tool (about 17 degrees). Give the building a fill color.
Presume that this building is an established grocery store. In a recent survey it was found that on average, the majority of its customers lived within 500 meters of the store.
12. In the main Adobe Illustrator Tools panel, click the MAP Measurement Tool. Click the center of the building rectangle and move the cursor outwards until the distance is about 500 meters.
The MAP Measurement Tool displays a distance of about 500 meters. This helps to approximate a distance of 500 meters around the grocery store. To measure multiple straight sections, hold the Shift key and click.
13. In the MAP Views panel, add a new MAP Layer called Surrounding and specify it as an Area feature type.
14. In the main Adobe Illustrator Tools panel, click the MAP Area Plotter Rectangle Tool button (Alternatively, click and hold the button to choose the MAP Area Plotter Ellipse Tool). Single-click in the center of the building to open the Area Plotter dialog box.
15. In the Options section, type 1000 for both the Width and Height (or click the Constrain Dimensions checkbox). Make sure the Shape is an Ellipse and the Point is Center. Click OK.
A 1000 meter diameter circle (500 meter radius) is placed around the grocery store and shows where the majority of customers live. The circle takes the appearance of the current fill and stroke settings. The circle can be selected and styled like other area and line elements.
16. Close the document without saving.
Please sign in to leave a comment.