Plot points in decimal degree and degrees-minutes-seconds formats
1. Open usa48.ai from the Tutorial Data folder.
This document contains the conterminous United States. The polygons are on the usa_area layer, in a MAP View named usa. The specified coordinate system is United States: Albers Equal Area, meter.
2. In the MAP Views panel, select the usa MAP View and click the Add MAP Layer button. In the Add MAP Layer dialog box, rename Layer 1 to Cities, set the Feature type to Point and click OK.
3. Open the Adobe Illustrator Symbols panel (Window > Symbols).
4. In the Symbols panel option menu, click Open Symbol Library > MAP Symbols > MAP - Symbols. If you're using a non-English version of Illustrator, browse to Open Symbol Library > Other Library and load MAP - Symbols.ai from \Helpful Styles & Symbols\MAP Symbols folder. See Helpful Styles & Symbols.
5. Choose several city symbols in the Map Symbols panel to add them to the Adobe Illustrator Symbols panel.
6. In the MAP Views panel, select the Cities layer.
7. Click the MAP Point Plotter button on the MAPublisher toolbar.
8. To change the plot symbol, click the [MAPublisher Default Symbol] link and select a different map symbol. Leave the Scale set to 100%
9. Set the Input Coordinate System to Use: WGS 84.
10. Ensure that Decimal degrees (D+[.d*]) is selected in the Format drop-down list.
11. To plot a point for Los Angeles, type -118.4183 in the Long box and type 34.1151 in the Lat box. Click the Plot button to plot the point on the map.
A point is plotted at the location of Los Angeles (34.1151 degrees north, 118.4183 degrees west).
12. Select Delimited Degrees Minutes Seconds (D+MM SS[.s*]) from the Format drop-down list.
13. To plot a point for New York City, type 73d56'39.0"W in the Long box and 40d41'14.0"N in the Lat box.
14. Click the symbol text name to select a symbol style, change the Scale to 150% and click Plot.
A point is plotted at the location of New York City (40 degrees, 41 minutes, 14 seconds north and 73 degrees, 56 minutes, 39 seconds west).
15. Finally, plot a point for Chicago. Type 87d41'18"W in the Long box and 41d50'21"N in the Lat box. Alternatively, change the Format back to Decimal degrees (D+[.d*]) and type -87.6883 in the Long box and 41.8392 in the Lat box.
16. All the points are plotted on the map. Experiment with plotting your own points, using different symbols, coordinates, coordinate systems and data.
17. Keep the document open for the next tutorial.
18. Choose Plot Centroids from the MAP Point Plotter panel option menu.
The MAP View and Source layer are already set in the Plot Centroids dialog box. The Destination is already set to be a new layer called centroid. This creates a new destination layer and places the points on this layer.
19. Change the Style to a different map symbol and change its scale to 50%.
20. Click the High accuracy option to enable it. Click OK to close the dialog box.
Points are plotted for the centroid location for each state polygon.
21. Keep the document open for the next tutorial.
22. In the MAP Layers panel, click the Cities layer to select it.
23. In the MAP Point Plotter panel, click the Address tab to make it active.
24. Click the Symbol link and choose a different map symbol. Then change the symbol scale to 50%.
25. In the Address box, type Seattle, WA, choose the MapQuest source, then click Plot.
Available geocoding sources are MapQuest and ArcGIS Online. An account is required for ArcGIS Online geocoding and uses service credits per address geocoded. See more about ArcGIS Online service credits.
26. In the Address box, edit the content and type 345 Park Avenue, San Jose, CA 95110, then click Plot.
All Features mode is only available when using Adobe Illustrator 2022 (version 26.x)
The address of the Adobe San Jose office is plotted. Open the MAP Attribute panel to see its included attributes.
27. Close the document without saving.