1. Create a new Adobe Illustrator document.
2. Import southchinasea.shp from the Tutorial Data folder.
3. In the MAP Themes panel option menu, click Add MAP Theme.
4. In the New MAP Theme dialogue box, type Population into the Theme name box and choose Dot Density as the Theme type, and click OK.
5. In the MAP Themes panel, double-click the Population Dot Density theme.
6. In the Edit Dot Density Theme dialogue box, select POP_ADMIN from the attribute drop-down list. Click the Load button to view the attribute's data range. Notice that the low end of the range contains negative values.
7. Enter a dot value of 25000.
8. Change the Dot Size to 1 pt and click Apply to create a dot density theme.
9. Don't worry about the warning message, click View Log. Notice that three pieces of art were not stylized as they held negative values in the POP_ADMIN column. Close the Log dialogue box and close the MAPublisher Log dialogue box.
10. Close the document without saving.